Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The house that i was renting was sold in an auction today…

Customer Question
Hello, the house that...

Hello, the house that i was renting was sold in an auction today and has a new owner. By the state of Florida, Seminole County how long do i have before i can move out? Is it two weeks, a month, please let me know. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It took place today and i'm not sure how that works.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have not been contacted by the new owner, i just want to know how long that i have to move out. I don't want anyone at my door taking by belongings out without proper notice.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Was this a foreclosure auction?

.

Are you under a written fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

.

thanks

It was a foreclosure auction and i was on a lease with the old owners.

Ok, the foreclosure wipes out the lease and makes you now a month to month tenant..

.

That means that under FL law, the new owner can terminate your tenancy with a 15 day written notice to vacate. If you didn't move, then they have to file a formal eviction action in court to get a judgment and writ that the sheriff will execute to force you to vacate.. That takes about another month..

.

So you are looking at 1.5 months or longer before they could force you to vacate..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much