Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My Home Owners Association is suing me... Missouri. Not yet.

Customer Question
My Home Owners Association...

My Home Owners Association is suing me...

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. I will contend I owe them 1350 for past homeowner dues. With Fines they said I owe 3000. I looked at their itemized list and offered 1695 since I am now compliant with repairs. They don't want to budge. Their attorney (who has been very nice about this) wants me to pay the 1695 in hopes that might convince them to reduce the amount. Should I pay the 1695 not knowing if they will still come after the balance?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just sent it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/6/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. Before paying anything, it is best to get them to enter into a written settlement agreement. This way, you know if they will accept it or not since the last thing you to happen is that you tender the payment and they keep it and deduct it from the balance and sue for the rest. If they sue, you have every legal right to fight this and show what you owe or that they are not properly calculating this but if they want the full amount and prevail, you would need to pay it.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!