Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm trying to find out how I can obtain a copy of my hud 1…

Hi I'm trying to...

Hi I'm trying to find out how I can obtain a copy of my hud 1 document from one of my refiance

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Arlington, VA. I emailed the title company and she informed me that they're not required to keep it after 3 years but suggested that I contact the lender. I've tried but they don't answer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What kind of paperwork? Are you talking about the written request that I've sent the lender?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We went to see a lawyer & he suggested that we try to get the hud 1 document. We don't have it & I know that the original agreement was for 10 years on a second mortgage. Now they're saying that it was a 15 year mortgage and I know that's not the case

3/7/2018
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. Did you close the refinance through a title company?

A copy of your loan documents should be located in the recorders office in the county where your real property is located. Let me provide the link to contact the recorder.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, Yes I know the title company but now after 3 years they don’t keep the records. She advised me to contact the lender but they won’t respond back

They needed to record the mortgage documents. You will county that office at

Location: 1425 N. Courthouse Rd., Suite 6200, Arlington, VA 22201

Phone: ***-***-****

Open Hours:

• Recording: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
  • Record Room (open for research): 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday – Friday

If no mortgage/loan is recorded against your property the lender has not lien against your real property.

The mortgage would set out the terms of the loan.

Who is the lender? I can provide you with a link for the governmental agencies that can require the lender to return you telephone calls.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me ask my husband about the call & get back to you. Thanks

Please ignore the telephone call request.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau can assist you with the lender at https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

The FTC can also assist you at https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

Your State Attorney General can also require the lender to respond to you at https://www.oag.state.va.us/consumer-protection/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130

The lender is required to provide you with copies of your loan documents as well as your HUD1.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry for the delay, I'm at work & had to take care of something. The people that handled our loan was Capital One. We went to the courthouse & the only document they had was the deed. A lawyer that's not a real estate lawyer suggested we get the hud 1 document because that would show the original interest rate & length of the loan. Yes, I will rate you. Will they site send me a survey?

No worries.

If they never recorded the mortgage they have no lien on your property.

If Capital One refuses to respond I will provide the 3 agencies that can require the lender to provide the documentation to you.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Thank you very much.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney