Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Before the condemnation Building permit people told me I did…

Before the condemnation Building permit...
Before the condemnation Building permit people told me I did not need building permits to remove drywdand furniture from home not code captain says that is wrong and removing drywall makes it unhabitable and no work can be done on house not even to remove household garbage that someone broke in and threw every where. Also police are ignoring alarm when someone keeps trying to break in house, claiming false alarm when it is clear someone is unlocking the doors and trying to disarm burglar alarm I just put in. How do I get police protection to keep people out of my home now that I have been told to stay away.
3/6/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Removing drywall for repairs is not causing the property to be not habitable and you need to file an appeal to the building commission board of appeals. It sounds more like the condemnation is improper, so you need to file your appeal to the board of appeals immediately to stop them.

The police refusing to respond to the alarm is a separate issue and one you need to discuss with the chief of police and if they refuse to do anything, then that is grounds to sue the police department for gross negligent conduct, as you are entitled to the same protection as others.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you. Copied chief of police and chairman of board of commissioners and District commissioner about notice of intent t
to Appeal Condemnation sent to Director will write to police chief about break in and doors being unlocked and refusal to write reports or to give me their names. But I think something is strange because I was cited for the garbage I reported to police that
someone had thrown all over the house and Code captain would not let me change the locks or finish putting in diy motion sensors.
Can I position the District Court to have the Code people to let me change my locks so I can stop the person from going in my home and vandalizing it

Thank you for your reply.

Sounds more like the Code Captain has it out for you or is perhaps looking for something from you, as is often the case.

I would suggest using a local attorney, which many times gets you more traction with the police chief and the code enforcement board as well. You can petition the court to stay the condemnation and ask for permission to better to secure the property because of the damage.

Code captain just called saying they did not condemn house because of drywall or trash he condemned house because wire where I took ceiling light fixture down was out and the water was not on. (Water company was supposed to cut the water back on but they need a day before that could be done). I use to work for construction company. Code says he is protecting me. So he wants a building inspector to be allowed in the house to see if it is safe for me to go in as code captain is not a plumber or electrician. Can building inspector enter my home without me.if I let him in can the inspector then find other stuff to condemn my house for?

Thank you for your reply.

You need to let them in to inspect and you need to have your contractor there when they do inspect so he knows what he needs to do. The inspector is is right if there is exposed electrical and water issues, because it can cause the house to burn down. If you have your own contractor there he can negotiate with the inspector and get the plans made to get these issues repaired.

Code captain changed his tone since notice went out. But he said don't bother with Court or appeal it only water and fixture wires. Tried lawyers. I want to Appeal Condemnation with issue about water and light fixture can I refuse to let building inspector in by not going to home.

Thank you for your reply.

You cannot refuse to allow them into inspect, they have an actual administrative right to do so and can get an administrative warrant to enter and inspect. You need to let them inspect and see where this goes, do not create more issues for yourself when you may not need to do so.