Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My father owns a condo in Maui that was purchased in 2002.

My father owns a...

My father owns a condo in Maui that was purchased in 2002. The land is in a leasehold situation. The condo sits 12 feet off of a seawall that separates the launch from the beach. Western Maui ihas experiencied a great deal of erosion over the past several years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

The he problem is we have sink Sorry. My iPad is glitchy. I will finish.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The sea wall is failing, causing sink holes in the front posing a dangerous concern for these condos. Repairs have been assessed at 1.5 million and need to start immediately. The question I have is this financial burden has been placed on the condo owners with no support at all from the land owners who collect over 2,000 per month in lease fees from the condo owners. Is this legal? Also the lease is up in 18 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Inthink that is the main question

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/5/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
From facts mentioned he should have the cost covered.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!A class action may even be available. If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what you are saying is that the property owner is responsible for the repair to the land and not the condo owners?

Yes!

I would pursue the demand and should produce settlement.

If the reply is acceptable, kindly respond "yes"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!
Very welcome. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get credit by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer