Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My daughter, the owner of a mobile home in a mobile home…

My daughter, the owner...

My daughter, the owner of a mobile home in a mobile home park in Maine entered into a rent to own agreement with another couple. In addition, the couple signed a lot lease agreement with the park owners. The couple shortly after moving in split up and stopped paying on the rent to own agreement, which eventually required court action to remove the woman from the mobile home. In addition, lot rent became in arrears. The park owners had attempted to evict her for not paying the lot rent, but failed in court (for a reason not known to me). Now the park owners have come back on the owner (my daughter and myself, as they know she cannot pay) of the mobile home (which is now in the process of being sold again - no rent to own this time), and informed me that we owe the back lot rent, not paid by the people on the current lot lease agreement, and have told the potential new owners that they will not process they're lot lease agreement until they receive the back lot rent in full (which they claim is $1300 but have not provided my daughter or I with any information as to that amount). When the park owners were asked why anyone other than the person who owed the back lot rent would be responsible to pay the back lot rent, the park owners responded with: "You can't get blood out of a turnip" Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm just trying to get information to help you.

It should also be noted that the lot lease agreement did not state that if the current tenants failed to pay, that my daughter would be responsible.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes, in the State of Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

When the park owners were unable (after taking the woman to court) to evict her, they contacted me and asked if my daughter and I could assist them in removing her, as she still owed my daughter $4,750. I filed through the court for her eviction. The hearing took place and she was ordered to be out of the property by December 15th, which she was. It was at that time that the park owners told me that my daughter (meaning me, as she has no means to pay anything), needed to pay the back lot rent that wasn't paid by the person who was evicted. No paperwork, of any kind has been filed. I did tell the park owners that they only way anything could be paid was if and when the mobile home was sold. That potential agreement was verbal and between myself and them. It had nothing to do with the couple now purchasing the mobile home and yet they were told yesterday by the park owners that they wouldn't process their lot lease agreement until the back lot rent had been paid. I question how anyone other than the person(s) on that lot lease agreement, who failed to pay, can be held responsible for the unpaid lot rent. The park owners lost once in court with her and know if they attempted to take her to court again, they could lose and they also know she has no money to pay.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a charge of any kind for this assistance?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Real Estate Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

I do think it also needs to be said that my daughter rented previous places from the mobile home park owners, prior to purchasing the mobile home in their park. Whenever her rent wasn't paid or there was any problem, they contacted me and I helped my daughter (as most of us do) and made things right with them, so there is some history there with these people. Helping my daughter was one thing, but being held responsible for someone else's ability to pay is another. I think that's it!

3/5/2018
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

In the end it is your daughter who will have to pay the back rent for the lot, because it is her mobile home that occupied it. I understand that she sold it to someone else who agreed to pay; however, the basically responsibility is hers, not the party she sold it to. Hopefully your daughter will get more than enough from selling the mobile home to pay the back lot rent and have money left over for herself.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would appreciate a 5 star rating. (Scroll to the top of this reply to locate the rating buttons.) If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer