Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Recently I uncovered my now ex boyfriend had been using my…

Recently I uncovered my...

Recently I uncovered my now ex boyfriend had been using my bank statement as proof of funds and forging my name of Realestate purchase agreements to lock up properties in the contingency period while he wholesaled them and then assigned/transferred them to a new buyer, again forging my name on the transfer agreement. This had been going on a while and I had no idea until recently. Upon finding out I broke up with my boyfriend immediately. I am trying to understand if there is anything that I can do about this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The transactions closed in someone else's name because he assigned them to a new buyer and then collected an assignment fee. I have not filed any paper work but I did make copies of the Realestate purchase agreements and transfer agreements where he forged mine name. He is a broker here in CA and wholesales Realestate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if there is any legal recourse I should pursue and also if there are any searches I should conduct to make sure my name isn't still associated with any of these properties

3/3/2018
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Have you filed a police report?

No. He was my live in boyfriend. And these transactions were in 2015. I was cleaning the garage and found all the transaction files in a box, then I noticed my name on them, copies of my bank statement, and a forged signature. My money was not taken, used or lost. He just used my name, my bank statements and forged my signature to "hold" properties while he found another buyer for them and then through escrow he assigned the property to the other buyer and forged my name again on the assignment agreement.

That is still a crime.

Did you want to report this? Have you checked your credit reports?

Should I report it to the department of real estate instead? Reporting forgery to the police does nothing unless I had a loss due to the forgery. I did ask them. I didn't suffer a loss, no money was transferred or taken. He is essence just used me as a "straw buyer" without my permission so he could lock up and wholesale the property to someone else.
My credit report appears to be fine

Thank goodness your credit was not impacted. You can report identity theft into the Federal Database just in case anything comes up on your credit. This is a serious offense even if you did not suffer any financial loss. You would report this to the State Department of licensing. I will provide the link. This is also fraud and the Federal government may interested in this case. One moment please.

But other than that I have no legal recourse against him?

I don't know that I agree with the police. I would contact the FBI

You have no way of knowing if this could result in future damages for you. I would absolutely report the identity theft.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Thanks

You are most welcome.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney