Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Me and my partner have sold a house we had in Memphis, TN to…

Hi!Me and my biz partner...
Hi!Me and my biz partner have sold a house we had in Memphis , TN to someone who was credit challenged. So he gave us a down payments and we put him on a monthly payments plan until the house balance was paid off or until he can get permanent financing. Well he was making his payments steady for the first couple of years then a few months ago he stopped making payments. WE made several requests for him to make payment but was ignored. Now we would like to foreclose on the house and take it back. How can we go about doing this? We would even hire the services of a third party if there is anybody out there who specializes in this.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/2/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. If you obtained a promissory note an mortgage to evidence the seller financing, you will need to file suit for breach of the promissory note and to foreclose on the mortgage. You will need to draft a complaint to file with the court as well as a Notice of Lis Pendens.

I recommend you retain a local attorney in Memphis to handle the foreclosure for you. You can find local attorneys on the Tennessee Bar Attorney Referral Service:

http://www.tba.org/info/find-an-attorney

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive rating.

what kind of specialty should we look for? Can we find out from the bar if any lawyers hae experience in this kind of thing?

You need a creditor foreclosure attorney (civil litigation). Yes, the bar can point you in the right direction.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.

Lori
Lori, Lawyer