Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a land contract on a house. The buyers agreed in

Customer Question
I have a land...

I have a land contract on a house. The buyers agreed in contract to pay the property taxes and keep insurance on it. They haven't paid any of the taxes. I sent a first class mail notice to collect. It's up to $4300 to be paid in 30 days. March 10 is that day. What is the next step if they don't pay. I'd like to have the property back. I need to do this the correct way

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Real Estate Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The contract was never ran threw the county. I have a copy of my contract and notice

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
I would like the legal means to get my property back and them out
3/1/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You basically have two options here....foreclosure or forfeiture. This is a link to a very simple, very good explanation of the process for each:

.

Forfeiture or Foreclosure

.

.

thanks

If I choose the forfeiture and they redeem it. And then get behind again. Can I then do foreclosure

It depends on your written contract with them.. If it doesn't specifically state that upon default you will do X, then it is your option as to whether to pursue a forfeiture or a formal foreclosure.

.

But if the contract doesn't specify, you are free to pursue a foreclosure now if you want to go that route.

.

.

thanks