Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I came to your site looking for info. on delaying an

Customer Question
Hi, I came to...

Hi, I came to your site looking for info. on delaying an eviction. My house was foreclosed on. I was not aware that there was a sale date, so I could not stop it. Freddie Mac bought the house. Now we are being evicted. I answered a letter that I received in the mail and the company says they provide legal services. If we pay them, they say they can get us more time to leave the home. They said there was a program called extended stay and we could have a few more months to move. They sent a contract for us to sign, but it doesn't seem to guarantee anything. I'm hoping it is not a scam. Are there legitimate companies that do this? My husband is disabled. Moving will be hard and expensive, so the more time we have the better. Thank you for your time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oh, sorry about that. I am in North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes, Freddie Mac's lawyers sent us paperwork for "cash for keys". That is when we found out the house was sold. We took the paperwork to a local real estate attorney. He said we should sign it; because, it gave us until March 6 to leave. But, we just got a notice to vacate from the same attorney; so It seems like they are trying to get us out sooner. This is what made me contact the company about extended stay. I have not received anything from the sheriff or from the court yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. Thanks

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/6/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In order to sell a house in a foreclosure auction, you must get written notice of the auction. Thus, if you did not get the written notice prior to the auction, you can seek to file suit to vacate the auction and seek to reverse the sale because they did not get proper notice.

You should not pay any company you receive a notice from any up front money to keep you in the house longer, 99% of them are scams AND they keep cropping up new ones every day and we cannot keep track of all of them they come up so frequently. You need to get a LOCAL consumer attorney to review the foreclosure documents and auction process and file to vacate the auction based on your lack of notice.

However, presuming the foreclosure and auction was done property, signing the cash for keys offer is the best you can really hope for in these cases I am sorry to have to say.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.