Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

A tenant of mine just vacated his apartment but his roommate…

Customer Question
A tenant of mine...

A tenant of mine just vacated his apartment but his roommate refused to go along? As landlord what can I do to evict the roommate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This tenant was supposed to move out at the end of February but decided to move now clamming she was not cooperating with her share of the rent. I was not aware of this roommate until recently

Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/6/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 17 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Hello I am an attorney here to help. So, tenants are jointly and severally responsible for the rent, meaning that the other tenant is responsible for the rent in this case. If you want to evict the tenant, then you will have to have a legal grounds to do so such as non payment of rent or a material violation of the lease agreement.
How else can I help today?
Tina, Lawyer