Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

The mortgage for land my husband bought but it is not on the…

My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** mortgage for land my husband bought but it is not on the loan note or the deed. Can the bank come after me for the amount owed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We live in fl but the land is in sc

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

A lawyer in sc is representing us on the foreclosure and I was told the bank should release me from the foreclosure process but she says it’s better not to ask them. I don’t understand why not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Am I intended to pay for this advice?

1/24/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

.

If you never signed the Note, only the mortgage agreeing to pledge the property as security for the loan, then you are not personally liable for repayment. Only the person who signs the Note has to repay it.

.

I have no idea why your attorney wouldn't want to get you dismissed from the suit since you aren't legally liable here..

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer
Barrister, Lawyer