Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A Board Member of HOA fell on property while performing

Second opinion] A Board Member...
Second opinion] A Board Member of HOA fell on property while performing duties for the Board. Is Member covered by D&O insurance in FL? Our agent said No. How is this possible? . Does FL have any civil codes to protect owners in common areas?
1/21/2018
N Cal Attorney

Thank you for your question.

D&O insurance only covers claims made against a director or officer, it does not cover damages for injuries sustained by a director who slips and falls on HOA property. That type of claim is normally covered by the HOA liability insurance policy and/or any comprehensive general liabiliry insurance the HOA may have. It may also be covered under a workers' compensation policy if the HOA has one and it does not exclude directors.

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Attorney

Thank you very much for the great rating!

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer