Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How does the statute of limitations on real estate property…

Customer Question
How long does the...

How long does the statute of limitations on real estate property tax in Kentucky remain in effect? I inherited property from my parents who inheritied property from my uncle who purchased the property in 2001, and our family has paid the taxes this property for the last 17 years without knowledge or notification that taxes had not being paid by prior owners the years 1997-2000?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I received a legal document on January 18, 2018, stating that a tax lien is placed on my property. Thirty seven names and addresses of other local property owners were included in the document which stated the amount of back taxes due 1/4/18 for the years before 2000.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My family and I have paid yearly taxes on this real estate since 2001.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/20/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

The Statute of Limitations for property taxes in Kentucky is eleven years. See Kentucky Revised Statutes Chapter 134 Sections 134.015 and 134.420. So, you can use the Sections of the Statutes that I cited to challenge the lien placed on the property for taxes for the years prior to 2000 because the Statute of Limitations for the taxes has run.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.