Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a disabled veteran, our VA home was foreclosed in

Hi I am a...

Hi I am a disabled veteran, our VA home was foreclosed in August 2017 and sold at auction October 2017. A person gave me a letter saying he was the new owner and wanted to inspect the house for repairs so he could rent to us. Can I do a quit deed challenge to keed my home?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My son looked up the sale, I don't understand real estate but he said the new owner has a quit deed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am working on moving but I need at least 4 months. My son says the sale may not be valid. So if I can keep my home it would help.

1/18/2018
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. If the foreclosure sale already occurred and he was the person that purchased the property at auction, you do not need to let him into the property. In Illinois there is a statutory right of redemption and he would first need to evict you to have you removed from the property. He should not have any deed yet if this happened on October of 2017.

"Right to possession expires and eviction by the sheriff: The purchaser at the judicial sale is entitled to possession of the foreclosed property 30 days after the judicial sale is confirmed by the court. Thus, after 30 days the sheriff will proceed with eviction procedure to remove the named defendants." https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/mortgage-foreclosure-lawyer-manual

Has there been any action for an eviction?

No Just a notice from the sheriff that asked for someone not listed on the foreclosure to bring there ID to the courthouse to delay or postpone the eviction.

That is what you would do. You do not want to let this man. Where in Illinois are you located so I can provide legal as assistance for you? If at all possible we would like you to stay in the house.

Phoenix 60426

I lived in Illinois for decades and never heard of Phoenix, IL. Let me look up the county.

And it is in Cook County where I lived. Give me a few moments please.

Phoenix 60426 Cook County
Phoenix 60426 Cook County between South Holland and Harvey
Are you still there?

I was looking at the map and I know the surrounding area quite well. I have a few links for you for assistance http://housingactionil.org/get-help/foreclosure-prevention/

Who is telling you they have a quit claim deed? The alleged owner does not have a quit claim deed.

JP Morgan and VA have Quit Claim deeds. The new owner has a Special Warranty Deed.
The foreclosure was done in August 2016. I just wanted to know if I could fight the sale. Your information was very helpful though. I have the link for the Attorneys.

Thank you for the clarification. I sure would like you try to fight it.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars? Thank you for your consideration.
Thank you for your help yes you will get 5 stars.

Thank you for your service to our country.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Thank you

You are the one that sacrificed for all of us. It is despicable that a Vet would ever be in this position.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney