Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Got an eviction letter from landlord. Brooklyn new york. I…

Got an eviction letter...

Got an eviction letter from landlord

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Brooklyn new york

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I got a letter from landlord telling me to leave but those werent court papers

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Can you share with me what your question is? What was the reason for the eviction?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
im gonna send you letter

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you see them?

No because they are zip files. Can you screen shot them?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hows that?

Yes, thank you. What is your question in relation to this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is this an eviction? dont i have to go to court 1st?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If ive been there for 6 years and my name is ***** ***** recent lease can i be evicted?

This is a notice to vacate. It is a demand by the landlord that you leave the property. If you fail to comply, the landlord would then need to proceed through the court and file for eviction to get you out. They are claiming that you do not have permission with them to live there so if you are on a lease signed by the landlord, you have a defense and should show them that they are wrong. They seem to claim that someone else was a resident and lived there and now that they passed away, you need to vacate and do not have their permission.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok my dad passed away 3 plus years ago which i lived out his lease then signed my own and have been there! Should i hire a lawyer before i get those court papers?

Yes, you should. This document is a condition precedent, to the eviction. Once the time passes, if you remain, the landlord can proceed and evict. If you have a defense and hire an attorney, they can reach out to the attorney of the landlord or landlord and show them the lease you have which allows you to remain and tell them to cease the action or else you will sue and go after them for having to defend this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you youve been very helpful

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RealEstateAnswer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
absolutely
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer