Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My apartment landlord wants to charge me a $500.00 pet

My apartment landlord wants...

My apartment landlord wants to charge me a $500.00 pet deposit "again". I paid my deposit 3 years ago but there is no record of it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Owasso Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Eviction paperwork? no not yet but will if I dont pay it

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Im ready

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

1/16/2018
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. So they are claiming that this deposit was never paid? Did you pay it with cash or a check? Is there anything in the lease about this?

I paid with a money order 3 years ago. My pet moved in with me 1 week after I did. We are currently under new management but the maintenance staff is the same. They have entered my unit numerous times including past management with no issues about my pet until now.
it is stipulated in the lease that pet deposits my be paid or else we are in violation of the lease and is grounds for eviction

If there is no evidence of this being paid, through no fault of your own, you need to decide if you want to argue that it was paid and lost by the previous owner/management and not pay it or try and settle this with them, and see if they will waive or reduce it. Even though they know you may have had a pet over this time, it does not mean that a previous deposit was not paid, so they could demand it, even though they may be wrong. If you do not pay or settle this, they can exercise their right under the lease and evict you, even though it may have been lost, if they believe in good faith it was paid.

I was afraid you would say that. Absolutely unfortunate
Thank you for your help.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer