Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Have a HOA board that has not changed in almost 10 years,

Have a HOA board...

Have a HOA board that has not changed in almost 10 years, only 2 meetings in last 5 years, no financial reports distributed, 16 out of 18 units not paying HOA dues including President. What should I due as a homeowner.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What kind and with who? That's kind of my question.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's more than enough.

1/16/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Is there an election coming up?

We haven't had any elections in years.

You may send a letter yourself, or collectively with others, or through a lawyer demanding an election be called immediately. If the board refuses, you may file a civil lawsuit seeking an accounting an order directing an election. Often a lawyer letter threatening the above will prompt an election to be called.

Then the new board would have responsibility for collecting the thousands of dollars in past due fees and or placing liens on the properties?

The board would need to decide how to handle past obligations, but generally should and would collect unpaid fees and address all other open issues that board neglected to handle.

I can't afford it.

No need for a call. Is my reply in chat acceptable?

There are only 4 out of 18 who don't owe thousands so I guess a lawyer will be needed. That's not enough people to fill a board.
Your response is acceptable.

Agreed, good luck.

Kindly take a moment to rate me 5 stars

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer