Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I need an attorney re: evicting a tenant, likely to claim…

I need an attorney...

I need an attorney re: evicting a tenant, likely to claim squatters rights. The property is in Hemet/Temecula

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I sent Eviction notice and is not moving

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, Just a notarized eviction notice

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They were family until my divorce. He was an employee living there for approximately 18 years (rent free), and moved other family members on to the 20 acre parcel. He signed a lease months ago and hasn't paid anything, and no intensions of paying anything. He got a lot of advice from (his enemy family. I live with my ex-wife (friendly), she is on my side.

1/15/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you. Give me a moment to review and type by responses.

I am assuming that you served a 3-day notice due to the failure to pay rent. Since you have not received a response or payment and the tenant has not voluntarily move out after the landlord has properly given the required notice to the tenant, you can evict the tenant; but in order to evict the tenant, you must first file an unlawful detainer lawsuit in Superior Court.

You can hire an attorney or you can file the action yourself.

Here's some helpful information from Riverside County for filing the eviction action:

http://www.riverside.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp/civ_ud.shtml?trigger2=0#landlords

Hope that helps.

Please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.

I had in mind to let an attorney handle it, and evict them
I had in mind to let an attorney handle it, and evict them. I wanted a recommended attorney.

Okay, fair enough. Here's the CA Bar Referral Service to find a local attorney:

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/Need-Legal-Help

Here's a local landlord eviction firm in Riverside:

http://www.udlaw.net/

Lori
Lori, Lawyer