Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Should I charge tax on invoice? I'm writing an Invoice to…

Should I charge tax on...
Should I charge tax on invoice? I'm writing an Invoice to the Salvation Army (at their request) for a fee to clean out an apartment left by a tenant that came through them. The apartment is a complete disaster. She was a hoarder. The Salvation Army has my SSN on file for an IRS form in which they claim payments for rent, etc. So, I don't know if I should add tax to invoice, or if I'm even supposed to charge tax since I don't have a business account. (Just a landlord, sole proprietor)
1/15/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Normally tax is not charged on services done to restore a property to its original condition by the owner; please see for example:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/st/subject.htm

This explains it in more detail and states that a certificate of authority would first be required:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/doingbus/sell.htm

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Okay. Thank you!
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator