Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own a commercial building in Los Angeles county Ca. There…

I own a commercial...

I own a commercial building in Los Angeles county Ca. There is an easement for a drive alley between my building and the adjacent building that allows access to each parking lot behind each building. I own my building for over 30 years were my business is located, and I always parked 1 or 2 passenger cars in this alley without blocking traffic. About 7 years ago the building next door was purchased by an owner occupier business. About a year ago the neighbor/owner started to demand that I do not have any cars parked in the alley, and he has been harassing my employees and me with screams, bogus text messages etc. Some his visitors also park in the alley temporarily.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Question: 1.0 Since I parked in this alley for over 30 years without blocking it, do I have the legal right to continue it? 2.0 What are my legal obligations regarding this issue

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can talk to the attorney who specialize in Real estate. My cell number is **************** My name is Michael ******

1/15/2018
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

Hello. The answer may depend on whether the alley is a dedicated public right of way on the original recorded plat, or a private easement. In other words, who keeps it in good repair?

It is a private easement owned by the 2 owners of the properties on both its sides. The easement, runs between the 2 buildings,and connects the street to the individual parking lot behind each building. The easement dead end at the parking lots and it is not a public esement. I have maintained the easement's asphalt pavement for over 20 years before the new owner acquired the next door building. Since the new owner acquired the building no maintenance was done, except one time asphalt repair that I voluntarily paid for, since the damage may have been done by roots of one of my landscape trees.

When the buildings were built, the easement might have been set out in writing and recorded with the County recorder. If so, there might be a recorded easement agreement between the original owners. You can obtain a copy of it, and see whether or not parking along the sides of it is mentioned, or other restrictions in the agreement. If not, then unless parking obstructs the use of the easement by others who have the right, there is nothing that your neighbor can do to prevent you from using it the way you have been. In order to do so he will have to go to court and prove that you are "overburdening" the easement. It certainly doesn't sound like that is the case.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, I would appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? If not, please don't forget to enter a rating (hopefully ‘Five Star’) by clicking one of the boxes at the top of this reply. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer