Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am in a similar situation. My wife and stepdaughter had me…

I am in a similar...
I am in a similar situation. My wife and stepdaughter had me sign a inter spousal transfer deed for the sole reason of divesting my community property interest, my wife passed away unexpectedly, we live in California, does my stepdaughter get everything and I get nothing?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/14/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Yes if you agreed to sign such a deed and it was filed then your interest was transferred t whoever you deeded it to.Please don't shot the messenger.But if you didn't want to do this you should not have signed your interest away.As it is it appears you did so to the wife and daughter.Again I am so sorry to give you bad news but that is the purpose of the deed here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.So sorry for your loss of wife.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but also, I was not aware they were even buying a place, I was only told shortly before I was told I had to sign the paper, I was totally kept out of the loop, also, I was told to not worry, the house is mines to and needed to sign the paper in order for them to get the loan. As for the person who brought the paper to where we lived at the time, he said it was for the bank protection, I didn't even read it because my wife told me it's just a format that the bank required, the house is just as much mines as theirs, had she not told me that, I wouldn't have signed it. I understand that there is a argument to be made if this deed was done solely to avoid the Community Property laws in California, in which it was, I have also read that those laws in some cases trumps the document that I signed. Also the fact that I wasn't added to the deed after my wife's death confirms, in my opinion, that they never had any intentions of me having any ownership to the property, meanwhile for the past 3 years, I have been contributing more money to the purchase of the property then they have. What it boils down to is that I have been paying the mortgage and they are paying the taxes and insurance only.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
another thing is, being to this day, I have never seen the any financial paperwork that has anything to do with house, they could of had mortgage insurance, I know nothing. My wife and stepdaughter are from India and my wife had only been in the country for 3 1/2 years when this place was bought. her daughters were here in California, went to school here, so because of the way this all went down, the secrecy behind it, I've begin to wonder if she married me for other reasons, I was her ticket to California and for her to be near her daughters.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one more thing, they even lied to me about what the property consist of when we were moving in, briefly, let me tell you.I asked what number was our detached garage. I was told that the garage is separate purchase from the condo. I asked because I was the only one with a car, I had two cars. That sounded fishy to me. A few days later my stepdaughter got a car and I was told they negotiated a deal for the garage.. It's all lies. Each Unit here comes with a garage, it's not separate.

You may need lawyer to sue for fraud here, you were lied to for sure.

Lawyer to sue here.

Call Toll Free(###) ###-####/p>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last but not least, when my wife was alive and the 3 of us were living inn the Condo, I was initially asked to pay $900 per month as my part for paying for the place. When my wife died, I was then asked to pay $1200 per month. Then in January of 2017, I was asked to pay $1500 when my stepdaughter moved back to India. I'm not paying rent, in fact the word rent has never ever been said. Its very very strange to me that the total monthly payout for this place has never been told to me, I have no idea. I keep thinking of things popping up in my head. I ordered a copy of the deed from the county recorders office. There is 3 pages, I was only shown one page, the 1st page that I and was told to sign. Like I said, I asked about the detached garage because I didn't know, however, if they had shown me the 3rd page, I would have seen that the garage is part of the purchase. They lied to me because they know I didn't see the 3rd page.

I think you need a local lawyer here to look into all of this.I fear they have frauded you here.The lawyer can challenge this in court if necessary to set it aside and get you clear title.

Thanks for rating 5 stars and good luck here.

Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer