Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Chester township nj has recently published a zoning map on…

Customer Question
Chester township nj has...

Chester township nj has recently published a zoning map on it's website that incorrectlyy indicates my property which is adjacent to a park as public land. It is not public, it is private. Zoning office sent an email stating it would change the map in the future (possibly years) Tax accessor confirmed that my home is residential zoned. I need the township to rectify their mistake and not make public false claim that my property is public.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No...only an email from me to zoning officer notifying him of error and an email back from him stating my home is zoned Public before 2002. His email also included zoning law stating that to change from public to private would require planning board approval and township council approval.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is private property, I have lived here and paid taxes since 2003. I have a closing attourney, tittle search anf=d tittle insurer. Previos map of my adjacent park always indicated that my property is not part of parkland. This mistake is on the township website for all to see. It endagers my family(due to hunting is allowed in park, It devalues my property to potential buyers, it has taken my rights of ownership and , makes it look like my property is open space and leaves me possibly liable to injury claims. I want to send a cease and desist letter and get this incorrect zoning matter corrected.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/14/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

If you have already contacted the town and they have not acted, short of filing a lawsuit againt the town, you should request to get on the agenda of the next town council meeting with the town council and the mayor and bring this up as an agenda item.

When the hear the story, they will certainly take fast action to get this straighted out. Moreover, if your proprety is listed as public property, it mean the city has liability for anything that happens on your property, and they certainly do not want that, so you should tell that to the town council too, and believe me, under the New Jersey law they will move very fast to correct their zoining mistake.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press send.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.