Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can my ex boyfriend kick me and my sons (one of them being…

Customer Question
Can my ex boyfriend...

Can my ex boyfriend kick me and my sons (one of them being his) out of his house with an eviction notice? and can i fight this we have been living together since may 2014

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Lousiana

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/14/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. From a legal standpoint, if he is the owner of the home, he can demand that you vacate. if you refuse, he can then proceed and evict. Even though you have been living together all this time and have a child together, it does not allow you to remain in his home. Unless you are on title, he could ask that you move but would need to go through the proper process.

how long does the process take?

If a landlord wishes to end a month-to-month tenancy but does not have legal cause, then the landlord can give the tenant a ten-day notice of termination. This notice must inform the tenant that the month-to-month tenancy will end at the end of ten days, and the tenant must move out of the rental unit by that time. After that, they would need to proceed through the court and it could take a few weeks, so you may be looking at 4-6 weeks or more, depending on how fast he moves.

hes moved out about 6 months ago does that matter at all

It would not as it is still his home and he is the owner and can decide who resides there and who does not, I am sorry to say

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!