Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a beneficiary to my fathers estate. I have two sister…

Good morning. Thanks. I...

Good morning. Thanks. I am a beneficiary to my fathers estate. I have two sister who are also beneficiaries. One of my sisters is executor. She has a contract to sell my dads house this week. I have been asked to sign a quit claim deed to the buyers. I am not sure why i was asked to do this. I have seen the sales contract and she is the only one of the three of us on the contract

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Dads will was filed and a change of executor was requested. Original executor was an uncle who lives out of state. I also live out of state. Thank you for any help

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/13/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

My condolences for your loss.

Is the property being sold directly from the estate? Was the property transferred to you from the estate?

I suppose directly from the estate because this is the first item i have been asked to sign since signing the change of executor form
Would it be better for me to go the closing

Thank you for the additional information.

Since you are a beneficiary of the estate your sister would need, and is, likely, being required by the title company, to obtain your consent or waiver to the conveyance and a quitclaim deed is an easy way to do that.

You can go to the closing if you want. You are an interested party.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

But what am i entitled to if i sign the deed.
How can i be sure i will be given my portion since she is the only person on the contract and i gave away my rights with the deed

Presumably the proceeds will be paid to the estate residuary. So, you are entitled to your share, after payment of expenses and claims, as directed in your late father's will.

If she is acting as the executor then she has a fiduciary duty to you and she will be personally liable if she does not comply with the will.

this is standard procedure

Yes.

Loren, Lawyer
Thank you

You are very welcome. Thank you fro using JA.

Loren, Lawyer