Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mom has been paying property tax on a house for many

My mom has been...

My mom has been paying property tax on a house for many years and cant find the guy who owns it to get the property put in her name. What can she do to get it in her name?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

1/13/2018
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Why has she been paying the taxes? What was her agreement with the owner? Why does she want it in her name?

That was the verbal agreement. She can not get home owners insurance on the house unless it's in her name.
Why was he going to just give the house to her? I am still not
Clear on the agreement
He was suppose to sign it over cuz the house needed a lot of work. She been paying the property tax fix the house up and she can not locate the guy to get it in her name. He moved away and no one in town knows where
Thank you for the reply. She is going to need to get a court order and sue to gain possession of the home and will need to show there was an agreement between her and this man for ownernership. I want to be upfront that it will be tough with nothing in writing and paying the taxes alone would not be enough evidence. Her actions at this time could classify her as a tenant but I think it would be hard for her to own it
Ok I will let her know thank you
My pleasure and please let me know if there is anything else. If not I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time
RealEstateAnswer