Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My daughter and her boyfriend and their (soon to be) 6

My daughter and her...

My daughter and her boyfriend and their (soon to be) 6 children came to live with us around March 1, 2017. We agreed they could live with us for 2 months while they got "on their feet." They are still here. I am getting really tired of the situation. Their only "contribution" to the situation is food stamps, which do not meet their needs. So I end up subsidizing everything. Neither of them has a job. They are not "renters." There is no lease. I just think they need a good hard shove toward self sufficiency. All of her siblings are productive members of society. They all think I need to get them out of my house. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is it in a nutsahell

1/13/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

From a legal perspective, they are your tenants under an oral lease agreement and you are their landlords. This is the case even if they pay no rent to you.

.

So you have to follow the same steps any landlord has to follow to get them out which starts with giving them a written 15 day notice to vacate. Keep a copy.

.

Then if they don't leave, you can file a formal eviction action in court to get a judgment and writ of possession that the sheriff will execute to force them to leave. That will take about 3-4 weeks typically after the 15 day notice expires.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer