Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother and sister are on the deed my mom just passed away…

My mother and sister...

My mother and sister are on the deed my mom just passed away how does the transfer of the house go

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

San Francisco California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The deed is on file the will has not my sister tells me that the title transfer straight to her after my mom passed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to make sure everything is done correctly since I was left out of the will That should be it

1/13/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

If there was a right of survivorship in the deed( joint tenancy with right of survivorship) it passes to the sister as the survivor by deed rather than through the estate.The deed controls.You need to check the deed records to see if there was a JTWROS here or not.This will tell you whether she is being honest or not and whether it passed by deed or by probate.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again, so sorry for your loss of your mother.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thank you for your time

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page

More reference

https://www.ca-trusts.com/jointtenancy.html

Ray, Lawyer