Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought a mobile home in August, had an inspection, and…

Hi, I bought a...

Hi, I bought a mobile home in August, had an inspection, and nobody told me the roof was in such bad shape it would rain in my room this week. The realtor actually told me it was in excellent shape and the inspector just put insulated aluminum on the inspection. Do I have any legal recourse to have my roof fixed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I'm not sure what you mean? like with my insurance or something?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

1/11/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

In CA there are mandatory disclosures that must be disclosed by the seller (and the agent, if known). This includes any known defect that may affect the value of the property.

please see:

http://www.dre.ca.gov/files/pdf/re6.pdf

If the seller fails to make the requisite disclosures the buyer can sue for:

1. breach of contract

2. misrepresentation

If it is a material breach (so significant it is most of the contractual deal) the buyer may void the contract; if however the defect can be repaired the court will typically allow for monetary damages (cost of repair and incidental damages).

For cases under $10,000 small claims is appropriate; otherwise general civil court would be appropriate.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm

http://www.courts.ca.gov/

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

what would my first step be? I have no idea what to do.

Generally first an estimate is obtained to determine the extent of damages; then a demand letter for that amount is sent to the seller and if they don't respond one would typically file a lawsuit in the county where the purchase occurred or the property is located.

Thank you very much!

Most welcome;

Good luck to you and sorry you are having to deal with this so soon after purchase.

Take care.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator