Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm a renter. Iv'e had ongoing issues with my landlord of…

Customer Question
Hello, I'm a renter...

Hello, I'm a renter. Iv'e had ongoing issues with my landlord of late. I guess because he is the property owner what he says or does is law. Lot of little things. Moved out of one of his rental houses for another. He maintained I did $2000 in damage to a garage. But was likely less than $350. he had a friend do an estimate even without seeing. I ended up doing a insurance claim. Likely fraud on his part. When I moved out he insisted I top off propane tank at an additional $150. When I moved in it was below fill rate. Other property I moved into likewise LP was not filled.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Now he installed a dog gate. I wanted to do it myself. But he insisted he did not want anyone working on his property. His choice. Then he charges me $200 for an old wood gate. He just pretty much jacks me around. do I have any recourse? Or can he evict me if I complain or not renew my lease or jack rent way up.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Do you have a lease in place or rent month to month?

Lease
No respond to inquirie

Thank you and please allow me a moment

No 1 year. About 6 months left

In order to evict you, there would need to be a breach of the lease. Once the lease expires, he does not have to renew it or could raise the rent but as long as you are paying now and in compliance, you can remain. The landlord can not retaliate against you either,for exercising your legal rights and if he does, you would then have a basis to sue him.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!