Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbors halekoa tree reaches 35 feet, Kailua, No,

Customer Question
My neighbors halekoa tree...

My neighbors halekoa tree reaches 35 feet

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Kailua

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Theres property damage

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
goes 90 feet across
Thats 35 feet into my yard by 90 feet
1/10/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The law in Hawaii is similar to the laws in most states when it comes to trees that over hang from one property onto a neighbor's property.

That is you have the right to cut back the branches that over hang your property. Your neighbor is responsible for maintaining the trees so that they do not do damage. You can sue the neighbor for the damage caused by his failure to maintain the trees.

Specifically the "Hawaii Rule," holds that living trees and plants are ordinarily not nuisances, but can become so when they cause actual harm or pose an imminent danger of actual harm to adjoining property. See: Whitesell v. Houlton, 2 Haw.App. 365, 632 P.2d 1077 (1981),

 "[W]hen overhanging branches or protruding roots actually cause, or there is imminent danger of them causing, [substantial] harm to property other than plant life, in ways other than by casting shade or dropping leaves, flowers, or fruit, the damaged or imminently endangered neighbor may require the owner of the tree to pay for the damages and to cut back the endangering branches or roots and, if such is not done within a reasonable time, the ․ neighbor may cause the cut-back to be done at the tree owner's expense."  

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/59149191add7b0493458a9a2

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer