Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am renting a home in Charleston SC. I signed a one year…

Customer Question
I am renting a...

I am renting a home in Charleston SC. I signed a one year lease. The house has not been power washed in a long time and there is algae and mold growing on the outside. I have a compromised immune system, requiring monthly IV infusions and believe the house is causing me to be ill.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Nothing other than a signed lease. I have sent the landlord an email describing the problem, but, as with other problems, they do not respond.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/9/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

What are your questions and what you do you to accomplish?

Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello, new expert here.. I see you requested a new expert so I will try to help..

.

Do you have any confirmation from your doctor that the algae/mold growing on the siding is causing you health problems?

.

.

thanks

Ok, what you need to do to get some action is to send the landlord a written letter certified mail...not an email, text, phone call... an actual written letter, stating that the mold on the house is creating a dangerous condition to your health as documented by your doctor. If he doesn't take steps to cure the problem by cleaning the siding within 10 days, you will have it done and deduct the cost from the rent as well as taking legal action regarding any damages you have suffered. See S.C. Code Ann. § 27-40-630.

.

Then if he doesn't take action, you can have it done and deduct the cost. You would need to send in a copy of any invoice for the cost of having it cleaned along with the remaining rent the next month.

.

.

thanks