Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I went to court yesterday and lost; the condo association…

I went to court...

I went to court yesterday and lost; the condo association received a uniform final judgement of foreclosure and my condo is going to be sold via an online auction in 35 days. My first mortgage is current though. What is the likelihood that the first mortgage company will foreclose as well?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

Florida

1/9/2018
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

The rights of the Bank and its first mortgage on the property, being superior to the rights of the Association, are not affected by foreclosing your lien. Thus, if the title is awarded to the Association at the foreclosure sale, the mortgage is still there as a “lien” on the property and it can be foreclosed by the Bank.

If the mortgage is not paid, the Bank can still foreclose on the property.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Lawyer
Ok, but what if somebody else buys the condo for the judgment amount of 79k...they can't get clear title because of the banks superior lien, so, can the new "owner" come back after me for payment?

The new owner cannot come after you if you do not continue to pay the mortgage. Either the new owner can pay the first mortgage holder to prevent the filing of a foreclosure action by the bank. Or not pay the first mortgage holder and simply allow the property to fall into foreclosure again. Also, if the bank forecloses and the court finds that the foreclosed property was worth more than the note balance on the sale date, the court will not give the mortgage lender a deficiency judgment against the borrower. The mortgage lender has one year after the foreclosure sale to file a motion for a deficiency if the property does not cover the mortgage amount.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Lawyer