Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Do I have to be responsible as seller to fix my house to…

Customer Question
do I have to be...
do I have to be responsible as seller to fix my house to buyers request to move a wall to pass inspection??
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/9/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RealEstateAnswer
Good morning. What is the issue with the wall and the inspection? Do you know of any issues with it?
I have a house, when the builder of house showed blueprint and I saw option to add an additional front door which I did at time because it was a good entrance for my company with ups, fed ex and employees. I later cut off passageways leading into main house by putting up false walls in doorway that led to hallway where nobody can come through for I have had tenants lately and its like a common wall with covered hall way doors. do I have to comply with buyer in having to remove this as seller, if 'as is' they can or do I stand correct??

Thank you for the reply. As the seller, you do not have to do anything, that you do not want to. The buyer can make this request and you can decide if you want to fix it and make the changes. If the home is inspected and there is an issue and the buyer can not obtain a loan unless this is corrected, it would be up to you to decide if you want to do it, to share in the cost or refuse. If you refuse and a bank will not provide a loan because of this, you would need to find an all-cash buyer, if you wanted to sell. You can tell the buyer that the home is being sold as is and you are not making any changes and they can take it or leave it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!