Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My elderly mother has had her 50 year old son move in with…

Customer Question
Hi. My elderly...

Hi. My elderly mother has had her 50 year old son move in with his 4 adult children over the past 3 years due to a marriage break up. My mother has asked him to move out but he does not attempt to. My question is whether he will have any more rights to the house when my mother passes than what is in her will? Will he have some sort of ownership? ThNks Julir

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Julie. Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes. I am now power of attorney. He has been taken off but my mother has divided all assists between the 3 of us evenly in her will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that he has his mail and all contact details at this address and is really living there rent free except for paying some amenities of which he has kept receipts etc

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/9/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good evening. He will not. Simply living there gives him no legal rights to ownership at all. When your mother passes, he will is going to determine who inherits the house. The fact that the son happens to live there prior to her death has no relevance at all. The person whom your mother designates to administer her estate can simply move to have the son evicted is he won't leave voluntarily.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer