Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am a senior citizen and behind on my rent. I have received…

Customer Question
I am a senior...

I am a senior citizen and behind on my rent. I have received a notice to pay vacate within 3 days

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not that I know of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There was a glitch in the website. it was saying that i owed $0 for 3 months.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/8/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I have read your comments, but I don't see your legal question?

.

Were you aware that you had to pay rent each month?

.

Did you think that somehow the landlord was gifting you free rent for 3 months?

.

What happened to the money you would normally pay for rent?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The issue is that there was a glitch in the website and my account kept saying I owe $0 for those months. I am 65 years old with depression/anxiety and memory issues. I thought this was weird but I assumed they were correct.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would rather chat through this site. I really can't afford $59

Ok, so do you have the money that you would have normally paid for rent in an account somewhere?

.

What is your legal question I can help with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not. I have $300. I also have been paying $100 month towards root canal.

Ok, while it would be the landlord's error in not listing your account correctly, that wouldn't mean that whatever rental agreement you entered into to pay $XXXX per month is invalid. So whether the online account was correct or not, you would still owe the rent to the landlord.

.

And honestly, it should have been clear when you found out you somehow had $XXXX in extra money each month that the rent hadn't been paid..

.

So with that said, it would be fair for the landlord to come to an agreement with you where you didn't have to pay it all back at once, but whether he would agree to do so or not, I can't say. Legally he can demand all the rent due and then file to evict you through the courts if you don't pay the full amount.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Barrister, Lawyer