Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My tenant broke the inside of the fridge (rail that holds…

Customer Question
My tenant broke the...

My tenant broke the inside of the fridge (rail that holds items on to shelf in door) With out a rail in the door that part of the fridge is useless. Also there was brand new carpet in one of the rooms (the only room to have carpet) and it has a couple of stains we can not remove and it smells like dog and urine. Are they liable for the fridge and carpet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/8/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

That would not be considered normal wear and tear as damaging the rails on the fridge doesn't normally happen with typical use. So yes, they are liable for the cost of any repairs to the fridge. You may have to search around on the appliance repair sites to see if you can even order a replacement part for it.

.

As for the carpet, if it can't be cleaned and it was brand new when it was installed, then they can be charged the depreciated value of a replacement. So if their lease was one year, the depreciable life of carpet is generally 5 years, so you could charge them 80% of the replacement cost. If their tenancy was longer, you deduct 20% per year.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer