Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can we legally fight a signed contract to buy property?

Customer Question
Can we legally fight...

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Jensen beach

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

We signed a contract with a buy to sell our property, we now want to terminate this contract.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Getting out of a contract can be very difficult. With that said, there are some things that you would want to consider that the law recognizes as defenses to the enforcement of a contract. One of the defenses is capacity, meaning that a person who is mentally ill, under the age of 18, under the influence of drugs/alcohol can have the contract voided. Additionally, if a party enters into an agreement under duress, it can be voided. Also, if the contract is so one-sided that it would be considered unconscionable, that is another reason. Finally, there is the issue of mistake. A court can declare that there is a mistake made by both parties as to the assumption on which the contract was based. For example, if both parties made an assumption that a certain event would occur, but the event does not occur, then the contract is voidable. Unless the agreement falls into one of these categories, then the agreement is enforceable.

I'm very sorry. What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.