Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

After puchasing a single family dwelling I found that the…

Customer Question
After puchasing a single...

After puchasing a single family dwelling I found that the 2nd garage which was part of the sale and houses the well for drining water was singing by more than 8 inches. The garage and foundation, the work to the well, plumping, electrical, foundation etc. was all performed without any permits. The garage is useless at this point and the repairs are in excess of $36,000. We discovered the huge crack in the cement floor of the garage after the garage was empty of sellers belonging and the removal of the carpet covering the issue. None of this was disclosed to the buyer at anytime and the property has closed. What are the laws for this issue in Oregon? Thank you***@******.***

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What paperwork?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Did you get my original issue statement?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Did seller mislead or conceal condition?I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The damage was concealed by items stored in the garage and a large floor carpet. There was never a permit for the construction of the garage and that was not disclosed. The seller stated after the property closed that the cracking of the garage floor foundation was an on going problem but never disclosed it. Yes any info you can give me to deal with this would be greatly appreciated. We have a loss of close to $40,000. Thanks
On review of your facts, you have a good case.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it! martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Seller should settle. If seller refuses, If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage. You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Infolawyer, Lawyer