Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Never paid their 2016 property taxes, they said a lein

Customer Question
Never paid their 2016...

Never paid their 2016 property taxes, they said a lein holder paid their 2017 property taxes, they called crying, is the property lost for them/

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just inquiring that question for my nieces and nephews

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IF THEY DO A REDEMPTION FORM FOR 2016 & 2017, WOULD THAT HELP?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THE LEIN HOLDER CITY OF SLIDELL PAID THE TAXES, SO HAVE THE KIDS SINCE THEY FILED NO PAPER WORKER, HAVE THEY LOST THEIR PROPERTY?
1/6/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: DrakeLAW, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

They have 3 years to redeem the property. They do so at the Tax Collector's office. Essentially they will need to pay the amount of the tax + 5% penalty + 1% per month in interest.

Here is a list of answers that should answer all their questions:

https://www.civicsource.com/help/lousiana-tax-certificate-sales#questions-for-owners

They have not lost the property, but they should not wait until the last minute to redeem it.

Please kindly rate the question so I may be credited. Thank you. You can still ask follow-up questions.

DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer