Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Tina.. I have a very quick question and ma need your

Customer Question
Hi Tina.. I have...

Hi Tina.. I have a very quick question and ma need your services. Ed Gabriel

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I can discuss with her Its Renters Rights related

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/5/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. One moment while I review your situation.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I was a renter at a Maryland (Montgomery County) property and moved out almost two months ago. I have been in touch with the landlord a number of times regarding him returning our security deposit. I have written him a number of email and says he will get back to me. Yesterday 51 days after we left I wrote him again asking that he return our $4500 deposit. Today he finally wrote back and gave us an email invoice for $4900 in repairs. He never provided and requirement such as this invoice via mail and has waited almost 2 months after my continued prompting to responding. What actions can I take to get my deposit back???

This appears to be a classic breach of contract and a violation of the MD code regarding the return of security deposits. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Tina, Lawyer