Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My daughter is renting a studio apartment near the UT

Customer Question
My daughter is renting...

My daughter is renting a studio apartment near the UT campus. She and her boyfriend decided to live together. The landlord asked him to fill out a lease application which they did. Now the landlord is insisting that they have a new lease in which the rent will increase. He won’t tell them how much. He refused to add the boyfriend to the lease. It’s not a very nice place and isn’t worth paying much more than they are paying now. $750 a month. What kind of rights does she have? Is there anyway we can get out of the lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Sorry. Austin Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No not yet. I am the lease guarantor unfortunately

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has 6 months left on the lease and don’t want to renew for sure.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/5/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Actually, it is the landlord's property, so if he wants a new lease for the boyfriend to live there he can insist upon one and all your daughter can do is negotiate the new rent. If they cannot come to a new agreement, your daughter is still bound to the premises under the terms of the original lease and she would have to honor those terms. If that means her BF cannot live there because he is not on the lease, she will need to finish out this lease and seek to move elsewhere. She cannot just terminate her lease without being in breach just because the landlord wants to change the rent to add her boyfriend to the lease I am afraid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer