Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My 87 yr father house is paid off but doesn't have any of…

Customer Question
My 87 yr father...

My 87 yr father house is paid off but doesn't have any of his children's name on it. If my father passes away, will the state take the house? This House is in Nashville TN.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, but what type of paperwork are you referring to?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My siblings and I will probably need a lawyer for this situation.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Does he have a will?
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
He does not have a will. But we need to get one of the sibling's name on the house so that it is not lost to the state.

If there is a will, it would pass by will to the beneficiaries named, and not the state.

If want to add names to title, can do so by quit claim deed from him to the added names. Is that clear and helpful?

Awaiting your reply, thank you! if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.