Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My wife passed away recently and I have a question regarding…

Customer Question
My wife passed away...

My wife passed away recently and I have a question regarding probate requirements here in Warren County Ohio. She does have a will and the only joint ownership we have is our residence and its contents. Our home is valued at approximately 170K and we owe 19K on an equity loan. Do I need a probate attorney and do I have to have an appraisal done to establish the value of our home?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, regarding some jewelry she has.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/5/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Here you need a lawyer to make application for probate of the will and to get you appointed the personal representative.

You would not need an appraisal this can usually be valued from the tax appraisal for estate purposes especially if you are the sole heir.

You have the right to be the personal representative and lawyer will prepare deed to you if you are sole heir to transfer the property to your name once you are named pr for the estate.You are signing as pr to yourself individually as sole heir.This is called a fiduciary deed.

I appreciate the chance to help you , let me know if you have more.

Thanks for rating 5 stars when we are done.

Ray, Lawyer