Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought a lot in MO 12 years ago from the county tax sale.

Customer Question
I bought a lot...

I bought a lot in MO 12 years ago from the county tax sale. I just tried to sell it and the original owner came up on the title search. I was told I need to file a quiet tile suit in court. Is there a statute of limitation since it has been 12 years since my purchase.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MO lawyer about this?

Not yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/5/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
N Cal Attorney

Thank you for your question.

The only statute of limitations on a Missouri quiet title case requires that you have been in possession within 10 years of filing the case, see

http://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSection.aspx?section=516.010&bid=27817&hl=

You can get a free consultation from some of the Missouri real estate attorneys listed by location here.

Instead of filing a quiet title action, you could get a quit claim deed from the former owner if that is the only cloud on your title.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.