Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbors has filed complaints with my landlord and with…

My neighbors has filed complaints...
My neighbors has filed complaints with my landlord and with Barrow County regarding my dogs. The initial complaint was that they bark too much. However, that was found to be unfounded. Then they complained that our dogs have poor living conditions. Animal control came out again and inspected and this is what he said:Met with the dogs owners and there is no violations here. These dogs have it better than a lot of people. They not only have adequate shelter but it is also heated and has plastic covering the door so as not to allow wind or water from getting in and did I mention that it is heated. I did not see any dog poop in the entire fenced in area but I did see a big awning so as to give the dogs shelter from the sun. The dogs are in great shape and had fresh water to drink and the owners advised they clean the PEN daily and the dogs come inside around 8 pm and sleep inside the house.I was here not long ago for a barking complaint and I noticed the PEN was clean then as well. I apologized to the dogs owners since I felt as if I was harassing them for being there. They were very nice and cooperative to me and advised I could stop by anytime if I need to check on their dogs. NO VIOLATIONS SEEN.I have been dealing with the neighbor complaining to our landlord and now to the County. I think that the main issue they have is with us, not the dogs. They are vein people and they complain just to complain.My question is, when can I claim harassment and how would I do that?
1/4/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

They are, basically, making false statements implying you are cruel to your pets. You may have a claim to assert for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence (the person knew the statements were false or exhibited a knowing and reckless disregard of the truth or falsity of the statements when making them); and,

4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in court for this matter. Also, any cease and desist letter will carry more impact on attorney letterhead.

If you want to send your own cease adn desist letter, here is a link to a template you can modify for your own situation:

CEASE AND DESIST

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Thank you so much!!

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Thank you for your help. Can I retain you to write the letter? I have attached a snapshot of the officers report from the last visit.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. However, I am not currently taking on new clients (retired).

Use the Martindale link I provided to find local counsel.

Loren, Lawyer