Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My husband passed away and I need to get is na. Sequoyah…

Customer Question
My husband passed away...

My husband passed away and I need to get is na

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Sequoyah County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has kids that I don’t want to have anything

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/4/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

I think your question and comments got cut off.

What is it that you are wanting to do here?

And what state are you in?

Thanks

Ok

And what state are you in?

How to get this propert in just my name

Are you currently on the deed along with your spouse?

.

Or was he the only one on the deed?

.

If you are on the deed, does it say "joint tenants with right of survivorship" or similar language in the deed?

.

.

thanks

No it does not and between our names

Ok, I am guessing you are in Oklahoma, based on the county you mentioned...

.

1. Does the deed read "His Name and Your Name" on it?

.

2. Or does it read "His Name OR Your Name" on it?.

.

3. Has anyone filed a probate case to settle his estate in the local court?

.

.

thanks

1
No I haven't I owe money on it and didn't know if his children has legal rights

Ok, that language would mean that you own it as "tenants in common"... so you each owned 50% of the house. His 50% would now pass to his estate. If he had a will that would control who inherits his 50%. If he didn't have a will then OK state law controls. If that is the case, then you split his 50% with the children giving you 75% and them 25% of the house.

.

But the only way to get this resolved is to file a probate case in the local courthouse and settle his estate..

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much