Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Okay, I paid my 40 dollar application fee to lease a house,

Customer Question
Hello, okay, I paid...

Hello, okay, I paid my 40 dollar application fee to lease a house, all came back good. The leasing agency called and said I was approved. When I went to pay the 800.00 down payment, the leasing agency rep., said they had leased to someone else because my current landlord got back to them, with a good reference, 15 min to late. The application was filled out and credit approved on Monday, we followed up on Tuesday with her saying "all good just waiting reply back from your landlord". Went there Thursday morning to pay deposit and was told they had accepted another applicant who had applied after us. This does not seem appropriate considering all things ask of us was fulfilled in a timely manner. Please advise? Thanks, ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good afternoon. I am Loren, and I look forward to assisting you.

Unfortunately, until you have a signed lease or have taken possession of the premises, the landlord has no legal obligation to rent to you. So, what they did is inappropriate and rude, but not, in and of itself, illegal.

If you believe the landlord's refusal to rent to you was based on your race, religion, ethnicity, etc., that would be illegal and you could sue them for money damages. Otherwise, there is not a cause of action.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!