Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

If a husband abandons his wife of 15 years and 2 children…

Customer Question
If a husband abandons...

If a husband abandons his wife of 15 years and 2 children and moves to another state to be with anther women can you change the locks?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

This is in Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are looking for an attorney that can get an X party motion. Her husban has blocked all credit cars and cleared the bank account.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/4/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If a husband leaves the home and has no intent to return and abandons the home, the locks could be changed. If there are issues and concerns and this is for safety and it is clear by them moving out of State, they do not intend to return and live in the home, the locks can be changed. Now, if the husband has blocked all the money and is providing no financial support, a court order would need to be obtained to gain access and to order he provides financial support to the wife and children, while this is pending.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are concerns of safety; the wife and children have no intention of leaving. He is very pugnacious over the phone when talking to both the wife and children. She needs local representation sooner than later to get child support and alimony. She is going to record all future phone conversations. They have lived in the house for 6 years, the house is in both her and her mothers name. Number 1 can she change the locks? (Remember we are in Michigan.) Number 2 can you provide her with pro-bono representation?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there?
I am sorry for the delay as I was having connection issues. Please allow me a moment

The site does not provide legal representation. As I shared above, if there are concerns for her and the children, they could change the locks. If the husband has left the state and has no intent to return, there is nothing wrong with them changing the locks, if he voluntarily left and lives someplace else at this time.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer