Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What should I do to ensure the landlord honors the lease…

Customer Question
what should I do to...
what should I do to ensure the landlord honors the lease agreement?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 6 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

What is your specific concern regarding the lease being enforced?

I want to know how the landlord feels he can terminate the lease and kick me out of the house. And what can or should I do to make the landlord honor the lease agreement.
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 6 months ago

Thank you for providing that additional information.

Answer: The landlord may not terminate the lease prior to the termination date of the lease, absent a major violation on your part of the lease or failure to pay rent. If the landlord attempts to terminate the lease, you can simply inform the landlord of this fact. In order to evict you the landlord must first give you a notice of eviction and then go through an unlawful detainer suit and prevail at the suit in order to kick you out. If you have paid rent and not violated the lease, the court will rule in your favor and the landlord's eviction attempt will fail.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.